1) What is the very first prop you made? Give us some details… and looking back at it now…
My very first prop item was a crochet giraffe hat in July 2010. At the time I had searched the internet, hyena cart and Etsy to see if this was even an item that was in demand and I could not find one single animal hat anywhere. The closest thing I could find was a knit hat that had a giraffe image patch sewn on.
2) What got you into the photography prop vendor world?
Back in 2010 my daughter suggested I make crochet animal hats for Halloween costumes. I had been making and selling wool cloth diaper pants for several years so I had a shop set up already and was able to quickly make some samples. I just happened to have a great photographer friend who was willing do photos and not too long after I was selling out as soon as I listed items. I noticed that many of the buyers had “photography” in the user name and that is when I realized I was making more photo props than Halloween costumes!
DISCOUNT CODE…. shop here:
3) Let’s have fun… any extraordinary talent, or obsession, that you’d like to share with us? IE: can you touch your tongue to your nose, or do you snowboard, maybe run marathons or like to mow the lawn in your bikini ? 🙂
A fun fact about me might be that despite a booming business in crochet I won many awards for sewing in high school. I made all of prom dresses as well as graduation dresses for my self and several friends. I won first prize at the state fair for a pair of pants I had sewn.
4) Tell us about YOU… personally. Are you a wife, mother, sister friend. Do you enjoy sports, wine tasting, avid book reader. We’d love to get to know YOU better…
I am a wife and mother to 5 children ages 6 to 16. My oldest is getting her collage acceptance letters coming in right now. I grew up in the state of California with my parents and brother and later moved to North Carolina where we have been raising our kids for the past 10 years. I also now have a little sister who is 7.
When I have free time (haha) I enjoy reading, mainly books that are made in to movies because I enjoy the comparison factor. My current book series is The Song of Fire and Ice (Game of Thrones). I enjoy watching netflix and football while I crochet.
5) Share with us your ALL TIME #1 FAVORITE image in your portfolio.
This is my favorite image in my shop. My friend offered her son as a model for this new product idea I had and the image got over 900 organic repins on Pinterest.
6) What is your FAVORITE prop to make?
I love to make bear and bonnet sets. Stuffed toys have presented a new challenge to my normal routine.
7) Any fabulous formative info you can “share” with fellow vendors who are just starting out? We could always use inspiration… so we’d love a “pep talk” !
My best advice for new vendors is to go in to this like any other job, if you expect to make money it will take a lot of hard work.
8) How did you “name” your prop shop? We love to hear how all of these creative shop names came to be…
I named my shop after my 5 kids. My logo has all of their birthstones around a family tree.
To enter to win this DARLING hat & bear set…
COMMENT BELOW and let us know … YOUR FAVORITE PLACE TO VACATION! <3
DISCOUNT CODE…. shop here: